Do Grandparents Have Legal Rights?

The answer to this question varies greatly and depends in large part on any number of variables. In practical terms, however, when a grandparent asks about "rights," it usually means that he or she wants to spend more time with grandchildren or wants to exercise decisions for them such as enrolling them in school or obtaining medical treatment for them.

Consider your objectives with regard to your grandchildren and contact a team of lawyers dedicated to helping you find answers that work for your family. Call or email us at our Los Angeles law firm of Aharonov & Revy Family Law, LLP, regarding any of the following grandparenting issues:

  • After a divorce or separation of your son or daughter, the ex-spouse or former partner refuses to let your grandchild spend time with you.
  • After the death of your son or daughter, your daughter-in-law or son-in-law has cut you off and is not allowing you access to your grandchild(ren).
  • Your divorced son or daughter is serving our country with the military in Afghanistan or elsewhere, and you wish to have a formal arrangement to spend time with your grandchildren during what would be his or her parenting time.
  • You wish for temporary or long-term guardianship of your grandchild(ren) because the child(ren)'s parents are in jail, struggling with an addiction, homeless and out of touch, or otherwise inaccessible.
  • You wish to adopt your grandchild or grandchildren because the parents are not equipped to raise the child or children for some reason(s).

For each of these situations, there may be one or more legal or logistical remedies that can put your objective within reach. In some cases, you can sue either or both parents for rights. You can be joined to a divorce, paternity or child custody case as you seek your own rights to care for your grandchildren with whom you have an established bond.

Protect Your Relationship As A Grandparent

Get the answers and help that you need to protect your grandchild or grandchildren and preserve your strong relationship with them. Contact an experienced, knowledgeable family law attorney who will not rest without exhausting every answer that can establish the stability you seek for your grandchild or grandchildren. Aharonov & Revy Family Law, LLP, California grandparents' rights attorneys are prepared to pursue a grandparent visitation agreement on your behalf.