Helping To Solve Parent-Child Relocation Issues

After a divorce with children involved, relocating is no simple affair. The law in California seeks to protect parental rights and parent-child relationships, and relocating has a profound impact on these rights and relationships. Relocation requires adequate justification and involves significant challenges before gaining approval from the courts.

At Aharonov & Revy Family Law, LLP, we represent clients throughout Southern California in cases involving move-aways. With years of experience in mediation and litigation involving relocation issues, our Los Angeles parent-child relocation attorneys know that things change for people, and our attorneys understand how complicated and important these issues are for those involved.

Custody And Visitation Modifications

When a dissolution of marriage is finalized and signed off by the court, it is meant to be official, binding and permanent. The biggest problem with move-aways is that they hinder the parenting agreement or child custody/visitation provisions of divorce decrees. For example, it might be impossible for the noncustodial parent to maintain every weekend visit when the custodial parent moves the child out of state. Move-away problems are magnified when a very young child is involved, because that is the time in which children are able to bond most effectively with their parents.

For a legal relocation, it is necessary to obtain a divorce modification that changes the child custody and visitation, and perhaps even the child support provisions of the original divorce decree. We help clients in post-divorce modification to allow for move-aways through:

  • Negotiation: In some cases, there really is no problem. Both parties have the same understanding of how to adjust the divorce decree to accommodate a relocation, and they both agree to it. We can help make sure the agreement is in order and help get it approved by the courts.
  • Mediation: Other cases are more complicated, perhaps with some of the issues being contested, yet there is enough of a working relationship where all we need to do is work toward agreement on some of the more complicated issues. Mediation can be a great approach for these situations.
  • Litigation: In still other cases, there is no other approach but litigation. In a case like this, we will represent your interests aggressively to make sure you get the best outcome possible.

Contact Us

Contact us for a free consultation with a lawyer from our firm regarding a California move-away petition. Preserve your parental rights and devise an ongoing fair parenting plan.